Waivers, Extensions Q&A

Can I get an exemption or waiver from the emissions testing requirement?

Exemptions and waivers are available under certain conditions. The only exemptions included by Ordinance are: electric or hybrid motor vehicles, motor vehicles with a model year less than four years old, motor vehicles with a model year older than 1981 and classic automobiles.

Waivers can also be granted for repairs or hardship. Please see the Forms tab for details on both types of waivers.

How can I get a repair waiver?

To qualify for a waiver, you must follow the instructions on the Repair Waiver page carefully and submit all of the required documentation and information for your situation. Repair waivers last for up to two years from the date the vehicle was due to test. Afterward, the vehicle must be repaired, regardless of cost, and pass an emissions test.

What is a Repair Waiver?

Individuals who have attempted to repair their vehicle after a failing test may qualify for a repair waiver. To qualify for this waiver, you must:

1. Have an baseline failing emissions test:

  • If the vehicle is 1981-1995, the baseline failing test shows that the vehicle failed the tailpipe test at either the idle or cruise speed; or both.

  • If the vehicle is 1996+, the baseline failing test must have fault codes present as the repairs need to be related to those codes to qualify for the waiver. Failing the test for uncleared readiness monitors is not a baseline failing test (see readiness monitor details here).

2. Spend at least $300 on repairs related to the reason the vehicle failed (1981-1995=high carbon monoxide or high hydrocarbons; 1996+= the codes on the baseline failing test) and,

3. Have a second failed emissions test after the repairs have been performed:

  • On the re-test: 1996-2000=only two uncleared monitors; 2001+=only one uncleared readiness monitor (please see the Readiness Q & A page for more detailed information). The vehicle can still qualify if the check engine light is on if it meets the readiness monitor criteria.

*Please see the Forms tab, Repair Waiver request for more information.

I can’t afford expensive repairs. What should I do?

Check to see if you qualify for a two-year repair or hardship waiver.

How long do waivers last?

Repair waivers last for two (2) years from the date the vehicle was due to test. Afterward, the vehicle must complete an emissions test before being eligible for additional waivers.

What is an Extension?

A one-time extension may be granted if a vehicle is nonoperational, if a vehicle cannot easily be brought to an area where emissions testing is conducted, or if a vehicle owner is located outside of the testing area. The following people often qualify for an extension:

  • Active-duty military members, with orders, who are stationed out of the area

  • Students who are currently registered at an out-of-area college or university

  • Workers who are on a corporate assignment in another area

  • Individuals with vacation homes or seasonal residences

  • Individuals with nonoperational vehicles (stored in compliance with local ordinances)

  • Business owners with a principal address in Ada County with vehicles operating in another area

  • Individuals serving on religious or humanitarian missions

An extension will not be granted for a vehicle that is in an area where emissions testing is being conducted.

My child has a vehicle away at school. Is he/she still required to test?

If your vehicle is registered in Ada County state law requires that you have it tested under the provisions of the Idaho Vehicle Inspection Program.

If emissions testing are being conducted in the area where the student is located, an emissions test should be performed in that jurisdiction and submitted here. An emissions test from another jurisdiction may be accepted as a reciprocal test. Once the test is complete, please fax (208-377-4473), mail, or e-mail (AQB@emissiontest.org) us a copy of your passing test certificate so we can give you credit for passing an emissions test. If emissions testing is not being conducted in the area where the student is located, he/she may qualify for an extension for no more than six (6) months from the date the vehicle was due to test.

My vehicle is not operating right now. Can I get an extension?

An extension is available for nonoperational vehicles for a maximum of six (6) months from the date the first notice was issued.

What is an Exemption?

The following types of vehicles are exempt from emissions testing requirements according to Idaho Code §39-116B:

  • Electric or hybrid vehicles

  • Motor vehicles with a model year less than 4 years old

  • Motor vehicles with a model year older than 1981

  • Classic automobiles as defined by Idaho Code §49-406A

  • Motor vehicles with a maximum gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of less than 1,500 pounds

  • Motor vehicles registered as motor homes as defined by Idaho Code §49-114

  • Farm vehicles as defined by Idaho Code §49-123 (2)(e) (See Forms/Agricultural Exemption)

What are my options when I cannot find the emissions control part(s) needed to get my vehicle to pass the emissions testing?

As vehicles age parts do become harder to find, typically that means resorting to auto salvage yards or online sources to find the parts. If you have exhausted all sources and cannot locate a needed emission control part for your vehicle, you will need to have two auto repair shops provide proof that a part can’t be found and submit that documentation to the program office. Included in the proof must be the name of the part and the applicable part number(s). The program will review this information and determine if an exemption for that particular part can be granted.

I sold or traded the vehicle for which I just received a notice. What should I do?

The Air Quality Board will accept a fully completed signed bill of sale and sold notification, see this website under: Forms/Vehicle Sold. In order to be processed all documents must be submitted.

Idaho Code §49-526 requires a seller to complete and submit a “Release of Liability” within 5 days of selling or trading a vehicle. ITD’s “Notice of Release of Liability” form can be found on ITD’s website.